Career Centre

Building the Western Australian workforce by increasing participation

Contact us

Chat with us

Phone: 13 23 98 or (08)9224 6500
TTY: 08 9225 7831
(Hearing impaired only)
Site search



Occupation search

Occupation Search

Builder's labourer

Back to top

Summary of occupation

Builder’s labourers assist various tradespeople by completing manual labouring tasks on building and construction sites. The work they do will depend on the type of construction site and the person they are assisting, but could include unloading and carrying materials, or tools and equipment, digging trenches, helping to erect scaffolding, mixing, pouring and spreading concrete, or removing rubble and rubbish.

ANZSCO description: no description available
Alternative names: Construction Worker, Labourer (Builder's)
Specialisations: Bricklayer's Assistant, Bricklayer's Labourer, Carpenter's Assistant, Tiler's Assistant, Trade's Assistant
Job prospects: Average
Back to top

Knowledge, skills and attributes

A builder's labourer needs:

  • to be physically fit
  • to enjoy outdoor, practical work
  • to be able to work as part of a team
  • to be able to follow instructions
  • to be able to work at a constant pace, good stamina.
Back to top

Working conditions

Builder’s labourers work mainly outdoors. They generally work regular hours, Monday to Friday. The work can be hot, dirty and dusty.

Back to top

Salary details

According to industry, building and plumbing labourers can earn approximately $1000.00 per week (full-time and before tax).

Back to top

Tools and technologies

Builder’s labourers may be required to use all types of tools from a jack hammer to wheelbarrow, depending on the type of task being undertaken.

Back to top

Education and training/entrance requirements

You can work as a builder’s labourer without any formal qualifications and get training on the job.

However, builder’s labourers can also complete a traineeship in Construction or Civil Construction. Entry requirements may vary but employers generally require Year 10. For more information, see the Traineeships section below.

To work at heights industry standards require construction workers to hold a licence to Perform High Risk Work – issued by WorkSafe WA. To gain a licence you will need to register with an approved Registered Training Organisation and work under the supervision of a licensed  operator. Assessment is then carried out by an independent assessor. You must be at least 18 years old to obtain a licence.

Related courses

Back to top

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer. You spend most of your time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider of your choice. They will assess your skills and when you are competent in all areas, you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. You generally start your school based apprenticeship by attending school three days a week, spending one day at a registered training organisation and one day at work. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you get a full-time apprenticeship you can apply to leave school before reaching the school leaving age.

If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Related apprenticeships

Back to top

Recognition of prior learning

If you think you already have some of the skills or competencies, obtained either through non-formal or informal learning, you may be able to gain credit through recognition of prior learning.

Back to top


Related links

Related occupations

Need advice?

Profile and social options